Monday, November 22, 2010

a life portrait

Today I found myself in the Drawing I art studio.
How did I get there, you ask?
I walked.
Oh, you mean, why was I there? You should be more specific when you ask questions.
I got a job.
As a model for the art department.
Anyway, I had trudged through the snowstorm outside all the way up to the Fine Arts Building, and after brushing a layer of snow off my coat, and shaking my umbrella dry, I walked up the staircase and through the first door on the right.
There were a couple students inside, and when the door slammed shut they gave me accusing looks. They knew I didn't belong. So I shuffled from foot to foot, and then exited the room. I tried to look like I had a purpose by perusing the art in the hallway, but I don't think people usually take time to do that, because it didn't feel natural. Finally, I saw a man who looked like he might be the teacher. He glanced at me and then walked in the room.
I don't know what I was expecting... that he might know that I, Madeline Newhouse, was the model he had requested? That he might recognize me from the short, slightly awkward conversation we had on the phone the other day?
I decided enough was enough, took a deep breath, and walked back into the classroom. The man (who I had thought must be the teacher) looked at me curiously, and then said, "oh! Are you Madeline?" I nodded my head yes, and he came walking over.
He started telling me all the things he wanted me to do as the model for the class. He used a lot of phrases that I didn't quite understand. Then he looked at me expectantly. I considered him for a moment, and finally blurted out, "I've never done this before, and I don't know what I'm doing!"
He seemed surprised, but had no problem with telling me in detail everything he wanted me to do.
I felt nervous. Uncomfortable. Completely out of my element. Silly. Self-conscious.
And then, because I felt all of that, when I stepped into the middle of the room, and everyone took out their pencils, I felt
Brave.


p.s. I feel extraordinarily happy right now. Life is good.

7 comments:

  1. Madeline. Are you a draped or an undraped model? Cause this post could be slightly awkward if its the second choice...hahahahaha just kidding. Thats fun you are doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh my heck. I must join that art class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bust out laughing reading this. Why? because Madeline.. THAT IS MY DRAWING CLASS! ha ha I was running late and decided to play hookie. Lady Luck must have been on your side though because I am hands down the worst figure drawing student EVER.
    But now I am wishing I hadn't skipped out. Oh man, that class would have been great....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Jessica no way!! I totally looked at your drawing outside the classroom while I was being awkward... I am so glad you weren't there, I would have laughed the whole time! Your teacher is a character...
    And Ashley Hillam I am draped! Haha... he asked me if I would consider undraped, and I was like, "NO!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay.......why do you become a model when I'm not taking those classes anymore? Come on Madeline! This is the greatest. Love it.
    Next time I see you remind me to tell you a story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your just saying your happy because you got to be naked.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the subject.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...